Monday, February 27, 2012

Non-Awkward vs. Awkward

Non-Awkward:
Last week we were at the library and while we were checking out there was a man wearing shorts with a prosthetic leg at the self-checkout next to us. The kids might not have noticed him but I could tell he was struggling with the machine so I went over to assist. I could see Reese and Jessenia with their eyes glued to his leg and so I called them back closer to me. Reese immediately asked, "What is on that guy's leg?" I figured the guy wouldn't be embarassed (since he was wearing shorts) and told Reese that it was a prosthetic leg or a fake leg and that some people need to have them. Reese could have gone through a thousand "why's?" at that point but I told him we would talk about it later. When we got to the car I gave a further explanation about why some people need prosthetic legs, he seemed satisfied and we had a totally non-awkward encounter about a potentially sensitive subject.
Akward:
Reese and I are in the frozen section of the grocery store discussing frozen pizza when he catches a glance of a man in our aisle. He asks, "Why does that man not have any pants on?" Of course I immediately spin around to look for the naked man. There was an older gentleman in white running shorts with a semi-longish shirt on. But he was wearing shorts (thank goodness). I hoped that the man didn't hear and tried to explain to Reese that he was wearing shorts. Reese seemed skeptical so I just tried to move on quickly, blushing as I went.

No comments:

Post a Comment