Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Vacation Day 3--Museums

A second day at the beach was obviously out of the question.  Mack and I had been to San Diego before and went to the Science Center in Balboa Park.  We thought the kids would really like it.  So we made plans to go there and stop by a little toy railroad museum next door.  When we got to the Museum though, we realized that we had a huge problem.  It was the Tuesday before the Fourth of July.  Combine that with Free First Tuesday of the Month for County Residents and you have a really long line at all participating museums in Balboa park.  It was a disaster.  There was no way that the kids would wait in that line, and it would have been a complete waste of time.
So we decided to take them to the Air and Space Museum (let's just say five steps below the original plan...but we were already there in Balboa Park). 
I would like to take a moment to point out if we had followed my original plan of going to the Beach on Tuesday and the Museums on Monday, this would not have happened.  Lesson learned?  Don't let your kids make any decisions about planning a good vacation, leave that up to the person who spent hours pouring over the details of this trip.
 The best part of the day was the free trolley ride that we took around Balboa Park.  A trolley is almost like a train, so Reese was in heaven.
 I must publicly apologize for my hideous sunglasses.  I was in desperate need of a new pair that the lens would not pop out of.  These were the only sunglasses I have ever been able to find that don't pinch the sides of my head.  When I was trying them on in Target, I asked Mack how I looked.  He told me they were fine, very on trend and stylish.  After seeing this picture they look ridiculous.  My nose is huge because of the giant bug glasses.  I am shocked my children aren't afraid of me in these things.  Last time I take style advice from Mack.  But not the last time I wear those puppies, because they really are. so. comfortable.
 We were hoping the Air and Space Museum would be more space than air.  We were hopeful when we were welcomed by this astronaut.  (What is with Jessenia's smile on this day?)
 There were a million planes to look at and not a lot of kid friendly places.  Mack and I have been to really well done museums of old and new airplaces.  Unfortunaly, this was not one of them.  Everything was very close together and obviously not much for kids.
 But we did find this mini plane they could all sit in.
 Reese got to sit in it after I drug him away from this wicked boring movie about the first flight (or something).  He saw it playing and said that he really wanted to watch it.  So Mack sat with him while I walked the other kids around (thank goodness for Dads).

 Then we took the kids into a 4D movie.  We decided after the torture they put us through at the beach, it was payback (just kidding!).  4D are the ones where the movie is in 3D and then your seat moves and blows air and stuff.  The first show was a cartoon about an animal and a jet pack.  Very cute.  The second was a trip through time...much...less...cute.  Jessenia had to hold her glasses on the whole time (as illustrated above) and the kids were terrified!  They didn't cry but they each had a vice grip on our hands the entire time.  I was so glad they were too short to feel the air that blew on your neck, because to me that was the worst part.  There was also a totally obnoxious summer camp group in our viewing.  I almost went all Postal Middle School Teacher on them, but refrained.
 As a pick me up after the 4D Experience, the kids sat in a little helicopter.
 There's that smile again.
 Brisbane is very serious about his helicopter flying.
But I did get one good smile out of him.
Afterwards we went to Panera Bread for me.  Then it was back to the hotel for some naps and cartoon watching.
It may not have been the San Diego vacation I had dreamed of but it was great.  I loved spending that time as a family, and it was so nice to have Mack around.  This vacation was the first time he spent two full consecutive days with the kids since we got Reese and Jessenia.  I love my family and I love the memories that we made together.

No comments:

Post a Comment