Sunday, March 18, 2012

Zoo

As a new mother you have dreams of what your first trip to the zoo with your kiddos is going to be like. I was given a triple stroller shortly after we got Reese and Jessenia. Now a triple stroller brings tears of joy to the eyes of a mother with three toddlers/infants who get grumpy if they have to walk too far/can't walk. I thought with the triple stroller endless possibilities of day trips with my kiddos awaited. Well all that dreaming came crashing down in one day at the Phoenix Zoo.
One of my good friends, Nicole, invited the kiddos and I to the zoo with her son, Caleb. They have a zoo membership and so we were all able to get in for free. Awesome! (Ask Mack, I love free!) So I schemed as I was falling asleep the night before about all the things I would need at the zoo to make it the most awesome experience ever. Now I had no delusions that this trip was going to be easy with three little ones, but we were excited. I had the kids all pumped up, had snacks planned out, and even got up early to practice folding and unfolding my triple stroller for it's inaugural run.
We got to the zoo early so that I could load the kids into the stroller and make sure we were settled before meeting up with Nicole and Caleb. There were droves of people there as can be expected when going to the zoo on Spring Break. I pulled into a parking space where I would have lots of room to unload my triple stroller and load up the kids. As soon as I set up the stroller I knew we had an issue. Now I am the third owner of this stroller and it has been through the wringer. Something was wrong with the foot rest on the front seat so it got in the way of the wheel. I thought, "eh, no worries. A little harder to push maybe, but no biggie". Then I put Jessenia in the front seat and realized that it was broken. I vaguely remember my friend mentioning this to me but she assured me that her kids were able to sit in it fine. Jessenia however is a bit of a worry-wart/whiner/wimp and so she was traumatized. On top of that Brisbane was in the second seat and Jessenia's seat pretty much leaned back into his lap and wouldn't stay up. So I did some fancy jimmy-rigging with the seat belt wrapped around the bar to partially hold it in place. We hadn't even made it into the zoo and we were struggling. I also realized that with all three kids in the stroller, a diaper bag around my neck, and the foot rest issue that there was no way I could push this space ship through the zoo. "Everybody out!"
I loaded all of the kids back into the car. Collapsed the stroller. Waited for Nicole and Caleb at the zoo entrance. I knew we were going to have to rent a stroller (no problem). I figured they would only have a double. Which meant that Reese was going to have to walk. I thought he might freak out. But he was in kind of one of his funk/over-whelmed moods from over stimulation that morning and so he just meandered along.

Brisbane and Jessenia rode comfortable along in the stroller. Reese walked, holding Caleb's hand, while Caleb jabbered to him about everything he saw. It was awesome. Caleb and Reese could be best friends. Reese listened to everything Caleb had to say and Caleb had a perfect audience to talk to his hearts content. I loved it and it still makes me smile.
Stroller now in hand we pressed on through the zoo. I quickly learned that my children are no fun to take to the zoo. (I actually think they would do better the next time now that they have been once.) They were not excited about a single thing. In fact, I am sure that not one of them smiled the entire time. Thank goodness for Caleb, who was excited enough for all of us. (Have I mentioned I love that kid...definitely want to steal him.) I am telling you, the kids could not stop talking about the zoo and what animals they wanted to see, the whole day prior and the 30 minute drive to the zoo. We arrived. They became totally overwhelmed and turned into zombies. I understand why but it was still a bit depressing.

Brisbane viewed the zoo from the comfort of the stroller. Jessenia wanted to be lifted in and out at every animal. Where she and Reese walked up to the glass/pen/cage and stared.

Like this. No words. No excitement. Just stared. Then she walked back to me and climbed back in the stroller.
The kids were actually really good most of the time. Reese didn't even complain once about having to walk the whole time. (Love that kid!) All was well until I told Reese he couldn't carry his snack because he was walking too slow. He screamed. Ear piercing. I was mortified. People stared. I wanted to die. Not from embarrassment. But from the thought that I will never be able to take my kids anywhere without screaming. He stopped eventually, thank goodness.
Then we rode the carousel. I stood between these two bundles of cuteness. I knew Jessenia would like it. She is the brave one. I was worried about more screaming from Reese and that the operator would have to stop the carousel and let us all off (he is a chicken). I warned Reese that the tiger he was sitting on was going to move up and down and the carousel would spin. I assured him I was right there and told him not to cry, it was ok. They were both fine in the beginning when we were moving slow. Then I could sense Reese getting nervous. He didn't cry. But he definitely didn't like it.
Then Jessenia had her melt down. I am not entirely sure why. Mostly equal parts heat and exhaustion. It was mortifying again, yet somehow not embarrassing, if that makes sense. We skipped out on lunch and went home.
Once we got home the kids talked about how awesome it was. Jessenia keeps telling people, "We went to the animals!" Good thing you didn't smile while we were there Jessenia, I would have thought you liked it! I think we will try again. I can do hard things. It was hard to take three kids for a day trip. They were not their most pleasant and enthusiastic selves. But I must admit that I had fun, and they had fun. And now I know I can do it. And that makes me want to do it again. We are just now in serious need of a double stroller. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment