Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Power of Prayer

A few weeks ago I had one of the most horrifying experiences a mother can have. Brisbane is learning how to feed himself as much as possible. As part of this learning process he tends to shove as many pieces of food into his mouth at a time and at a rapid rate. We were having blackberries for dinner this particular evening. (Blackberries are Reese's favorite food and he asks for them regularly.) I probably should have cut the blackberries up some more for Brisbane but hindsight is 20/20.
I looked over and Brisbane was not breathing. I panicked. We have had lots of choking false alarms at our house because I am super paranoid. But usually Mack is around to calm me down and deal with the not-really-choking child. But this time he really was choking. We had a choking scare on Brisbane's birthday when Brisbane got too excited about the string cheese. Mack was home then and he did the heimlich and it was ok. I was alone this time. Brisbane was choking.
I whipped him out of the high chair and started doing the heimlich. No luck. I started praying that I would be able to do the heimlich right and Brisbane would be able to breathe. I kept doing the heimlich with no luck. I then told the kids that they should start praying. Reese had no idea what he was praying for but he said the sweetest (and shortest) little prayer. I told him to keep praying over and over. In the meantime I had dialed 911 and was about to call when I felt inspired to move Brisbane a certain way. I put the phone down, moved Brisbane around, and he coughed up that dang blackberry. I fell to my knees crying. I was so grateful that he was breathing and alive. I had blackberries and snot all over me but I didn't care. Brisbane was ok. I hugged all of the kids and told them I was so thankful that they say such good and faithful prayers. I explained to them that Heavenly Father heard their prayers and answered them so that Mommy was able to help Brisbane. I was a crying mess the rest of the night.
Of course Reese regaled Mack with the story as soon as he got home about how he saved Brisbane's life. I am going to let him take full credit for that one. We have had lots of great experiences with our sweet little ones learning to pray and this was certainly the most dramatic.
I also should note that when Jessenia prays for the food she blesses each item by name. Classic. Reese is best known for being thankful for things that I would never even think of. I love my children, their simple faith, and the wonderful lessons they teach me each day.

1 comment:

  1. I love your sweet children, and I'm so glad you have taught them to pray, because I don't know what any of us would do without Brisbane! I am so glad you were so blessed! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete