Tuesday, March 6, 2012

"No" is a Four Letter Word

Last night we had Family Home Evening. I gave the lesson about prophets. We use the word 'lesson' very loosely at our house. The lesson usually consists of holding up a picture and discussing some principal associated with it for ten seconds.
I started by showing them a picture of Joseph Smith (Reese knows who he is) and explained that he was a prophet. Then I showed them a picture of Thomas S. Monson and explained that he is the current prophet. I told them that he speaks for Heavenly Father on the earth and that we should listen to what he says and obey. This is when Reese pointed to the pictures of the three former prophets on the page (thank you, Gospel Art Book) and wanted to know if they were dead. We told them that they were but to pay attention (yeah, right. At this point I figured if they learned the word prophet we had done well). After several attempts to get them to focus on anything but repeating that the other men on the page were all dead, I decided to wrap up this 'lesson'. That is when out of nowhere Reese pointed at President Monson and said, "We don't say no to him". Mack and I had to laugh. The kids aren't supposed to say no to us when we tell them to do something (i.e. picking up their toys).
I guess Reese is right, we shouldn't say no to the prophet. Or to Heavenly Father as he so eloquently pointed out moments later.

No comments:

Post a Comment