Friday, March 9, 2012

BaseballIceCream

My parents came into town last weekend and we decided to take advantage of them and attend a Spring Training game. My mother stayed home with Brisbane and my father came to the game to watch (i.e. help with the kids).
The night before we were getting the kids all revved up for the game. They were not all that excited (much to their mother and grandfather's dismay) and so my dad told them they could have ice cream at the game. That did the trick. They walked around for the next twelve hours saying, "We are going to BaseballIceCream". As if it were all one word/thing.
Sidenote: This reminds me of when Mack and I took our niece and nephew to a Diamondbacks game and our niece kept asking us, "What are we waiting for?" I had to break it to her that we were watching what we were 'waiting for'.
Everyone at the park was really nice to the kids. An usher/lady/person/worker came up and asked the kids what kind of a game they were going to watch. They were too shy to answer. When she asked them if they were going to a basketball game. They said yes. Oh brother.
Spring Training games tend to have a lot of older people at them. The kids and their families sit on the grass in the outfield. Well Mack doesn't sit on the floor and I get hives thinking about kids loose on grass with lots of strangers around. So we had seats around a lot of older people. You could tell they had tickets every year because this was the first game of Spring Training and they were greeting each other and saying things like: "Some things never change." "It's good to see you back this year." "Who would have thought we had gotten so old." So when they saw us approaching with two young kids they were looking pretty nervous.
Then Mack left to go get napkins and they had a moment of silence and the National Anthem. Reese didn't want to stand up and so I was paranoid that we were going to have screaming during the moment of silence. But he stood up when I made him and thankfully did not scream. {sigh of relief} I told Mack that next time there is no abandoning each other during the National Anthem. He agreed.
We had AWESOME seats, right behind home plate. Even though we weren't rooting for any particular team, we had lots of fun. I love watching baseball games with my dad (and husband) (and kids) (and by myself).


And the kids loved eating the food.

As soon as they were done with those hot dogs they started asking where the ice cream was. My father unwisely suggested we go get some. It wasn't even the end of the second inning! I told him we needed to pace the food so we could keep them entertained throughout all nine innings (the game wasn't doing the trick). It was a wise move.

But Grandpa couldn't resist. He got the kids cotton candy to last until the ice cream.

It was totally sticky (obviously). Mack was pretty disturbed and had to take the kids to the bathroom to wash their hands.




I think the kids had as much fun as they could be expected to have when a two and three year old are at a baseball game. Thank goodness for the yummy food. Amongst the five of us we ate: five hotdogs, two pretzels, one nachos, one cotton candy, five ice creams, and three large sodas (who would have thunk my kids would like soda so much). When Grandma heard about the food she made it abundantly clear that we were responsible for any sick children. Thankfully, nobody got sick.

Hmmm....no pictures of Mommy at the game. I need to hand the camera off more...

As we were leaving the older woman in front of us asked if the kids go to games all the time. I told her this was their first. She was super impressed. Them the older woman behind us commented that they were very well behaved. I was proud of them, they really are great kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment