Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Enjoy Shopping? It Depends

I am not a person who shops for fun. I never walked the mall with my friends as an adolescent. I don't like trying clothes on. I try to shop for clothes at all the same stores so I know what sizes fit me and I don't have to enter a dressing room. I shop out of necessity. This is another trait I developed from my mother. (I guess I really am turning into her.) My sister on the other hand is a shopper. I hated going shopping with her when we were younger. She wanted to try one of everything on. Now I love shopping with her because it is fun sister time (but I still hate trying things on).
I had two 'special' shopping experiences this week that made me laugh.
First. I coupon. I am kind of a closet couponer. It takes tons of my time (which I hate). But saves us tons of money (which I love). As much as I hate shopping, I love saving money...so it balances out. The other day I was at my local supermarket getting a few things when I saw some Depends on clearance. That's right....diapers for adults. They were marked at $2.29. I knew that I had a coupon at home for $4 off. My store will give you the extra money from the coupon towards the rest of your groceries. I thought, "Why not? Someone is going to pay me $1.71 to buy old man diapers." So what did I do? I ran home and got my coupons. Then went back to the store and bought a few more things, including old man diapers. Don't judge me. I normally don't make a habit of buying things that I won't use. But they were paying me to do it. I got free bananas because of those diapers. What am I going to do with them now? Probably donate them...although they are pretty stylish. I am telling you, old man diapers has come a long way since I was a kid. (Don't ask me how I know that.)
Story number two. I went to Target and was raiding the kids clearance clothing (same trip as the cute Sunday clothes) and I found some shoes for Brisbane. My fabulous sister in law had recommended those baby shoes with soft leather soles so that Brisbane would still be able to walk in them (excellent recommendation, by the way). I found some in the clearance but there was no price tag and they were the only ones. I looked to see what they were regular price ($14.99) and thought, "If they are $7 or less, I'll get them." I went to the cashier (This crazy kid who informed me he was wearing bike gloves because he had blisters from doing yard work and he didn't want them to pop at work. Eww.) And explained to him the situation with the shoes. It was 15 minutes before closing so there probably wasn't a manager around to ask so he said, "Fifty. (I thought he meant Fifty percent off) No wait, $1, they are damaged, so fifty cents." I was dumbfounded. I reminded him they were normally $14.99. The girl at the register next to him then said, "How about 15 cents?" They were talking me DOWN. These kids clearly have never had children and do not know how much kids clothes/shoes cost. I reminded them of the retail price to clear my conscience and they sold me the shoes for fifteen cents.
The shoes fit Brisbane perfect. Even if they didn't... they cost fifteen cents! Much better purchase than the Depends I got paid for. On so many levels.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post!!! I am just getting started couponing and have yet to feel like I save a significant amount of money(maybe I don't put enough time into it) but this made me laugh and feel just a little more motivated!!
    And I was never one of the girls that went to the mall to hang out, I just never understood the point of it, so you aren't alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's why we were friends, we didn't walk the mall. :) I love couponing, I think it saves us tons of money! Let me know if you need a couponing buddy or inspiration. You live in Utah right? What stores do you have there?

    ReplyDelete