Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Zombies

I find this picture incredibly adorable.  Mostly because all three of the kids are so cute.  But also because of Brisbane's ability to now do what the big kids do (even if that is sitting in front of the tv and staring).
The kids only get to watch one tv show (on dvd...so it might be several episodes depending on how long dinner takes) a day while I am making dinner.  It is basically a safety issue so that nobody gets burnt in the kitchen.  I admit, I am not one of those moms who when she gets together with her other mom friends says, "I let my kids help me with dinner every single night.  It is such a learning experience.  And we have so. much. fun."  Anyone who says that is a liar.  It can be fun to have kids helping in the kitchen.  But not at the end of a long day when one is making dinner.
Brisbane has been a special challenge because his attention span in the past has not been long enough to watch a show.  In fact, before last week he never even showed any interest.  But just last week he decided that he wanted to sit on the bed with the kids.  That would last five minutes and then he would wail until I would come help him down.  But just two days ago he finally made it through the entire thing while I made dinner.  Breakthrough!  That meant I didn't have to put him as far away as possible, run back to the oven, open it, pull dinner out, and get it closed before he got back into the kitchen.  Doing all of that while looking over my shoulder to make sure he didn't get back quickly and touch the hot oven.  I could have just set up the baby gate, I suppose. 
Dinner making has been glorious (well as glorious as it can be).  Thank you television.  Despite all of your evils, you truly are a great invention.

No comments:

Post a Comment