Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Munchausen

This is one of those posts that my kids are going to read as teenagers and be mortified that it was put on the internet.  So with that...full steam ahead, I say!
I had to take Reese to the Dr. yesterday for a 'little boy issue'.  We are a pretty modest bunch but believe in using age appropriate and correct terminology for body parts.  Hence Reese and Jessenia both know what a penis is (they bathe together).  We have had the talk with Reese about not letting people touch his penis other than Mommy and Daddy when they are helping him and the Dr. if Mommy or Daddy are there.  So before we went to the Dr. I warned Reese that the Dr. would be examining his private parts.  He was nervous but agreed that he would be brave.
When Jessenia heard that Reese was getting to be examined by the Dr. she immediately jumped in with all of her ailments, specifically, "Mom, I have a scratch on my...on my...on my...."  Uh-huh, sure.  I told her we are only going to the Dr. for Reese this time. 
In the car on the way to the Dr., Jessenia asked me, "Mom, why do I not have a peanut?"  I told her, "It's a penis and you don't have one because you are a girl".  I could just hear her mind working, 'If only I had a peanut, I would get to go to the Dr. for me too".
We went to the Dr. and everything was fine with only a minor issue that requires some topical medicine.  After we got back in the car, I told Reese that I was going to need to put some medicine on him a few times  day.  Jessenia immediately jumped in by telling me that her eye was hurting her.  Uh-huh, sure.  First thing that came to her mind since the Great Pink Eye Debacle of Summer 2012, I'm sure.  I think Jessenia might have Munchausens (where you make up diseases or make yourself sick for attention from the Dr.).  I informed her that under no circumstances would she be recieving medicine that day.
Good thing she didn't really get sick or I would have had to go back on my word.  Or I may not have believed her in the first place, my little Girl Who Cried Sick!

No comments:

Post a Comment