Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Play-Doh Firsts -->Nursery

The kids like to play with Play-Doh.  I don't like them to play with Play-Doh.  It's a mess.  Excited for cooler weather so I can send them out on the back patio.
In the past we have only done Play-Doh while Brisbane is sleeping becuase of his tendency to chew on any and everything.  But his oral fixation has decresed drastically (i.e. We might be able to move the sofa out from in front of the window.  Remember, the kids ate plaster.)  So I decided to brave the inevitable and let him have a shot.
 "Mom!  You caught me!"
He did really great, had a lot of fun, and almost lasted as long as the big kids.  But the big success was that he did not eat any Play-Doh.
Jessenia is really good at playing with Brisbane.  She is just the right amount of bossy and incredibly sweet.  She is very good at modeling how to play with things and wants her little minion to have success. 
This Play-Doh event (a few weeks ago) gave me courage that Brisbane might be able to survive Nursery at church (I was worried he would just eat the crayons and chew on all the toys...yuck!).  We sent Brisbane for the first time on Sunday.  (He's a month early, but both Mack and I are in callings that we can't really have him with us, so we got permission.  In fact, we were basically told to send him by the Bishop and Primary President.) 
We walked in, I set him down and he ran right over to the toy cupboards and began pulling on the lock, "I know what's in here!"  He did not cry once.  When I went in to do singing time with the kids he ran up to me (but only because he was interested in my singing apron with all the pockets).  The leaders said, "He is kind of a weird kid.  He already went through the garbage and tried to eat the tissues."  Ooops.  I forgot to mention that.  He is obsessed with garbage.  We keep ours on the counter tops or on dressers.  But when we went to get him at the end of church they said he did awesome.  He was very engaged and seemed to really enjoy it.  His coloring picture was actually about on par with Jessenia.  Which means I really need to get Jessenia to draw more than one line on her paper.  Come on Sis, don't let a 17 month old boy beat ya!  I think we may just send him back next week.  I am just glad that he didn't bite anyone.  Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment