Friday, August 24, 2012

Backdirt Annihilation--Final Stages

We have been blessed to have a lovely Backdirt.  It has been a thorn in our side (or feet...literally) since we moved in this house.  We of course had grand plans to redo it ourselves.  Last Saturday we were standing in the backdirt, I with a bucket to collect rocks and Mack with a mattock (aka grub n' hoe), when I turned to Mack and suggested that we just hire it done.  At the rate we are going and with our limited skills we would have the backdirt turned into a backyard in the year 2036.  Since we will only be in this house two more years and would actually like to send our kids into the yard to play this coming winter without threat of impalement, we decided that hiring professionals was a wise decision.
So now you all have the pleasure of seeing day by day shots of our backdirt becoming a backyard.  That's right.  We had this conversation seven days ago, I got two estimates this week, and the crew started today.  We don't mess around.  Plus I am extremely desperate for Reese to have somewhere to run off all that excess energy he now takes out on his siblings.
So here are the three before shots I took last night:
 I will attempt to point out some of the lovely features of the backdirt.  Above you see the massive pile of woodchips that were created when Mack cut down and chipped the two giant Mesquite trees (thorns and all).  Both landscapers said, "Whoa, those were some big trees!" when they saw our woodchip collection.
 In this picture you will notice the lovely 600 pound (estimated) stump that Mack removed, on the left.  And on the right is the stump that Mack was attempting to remove when I had my brilliant idea of getting someone else to suffer.
 And then this just shows the last of the yard.  Basically just some noxious weeds, a random cactus, and a massive hole (unseen in picture) that has no explanation.
On to events of today.  The crew showed up bright and early.  And then my kids were glued to the window. 
Seriously, it was better than tv (which we don't have).  I eventually pulled them away with the draw of duplos but throughout the day they still needed to check on the progress (you know, make sure we had no slackers out there).  Reese was so interested that anytime they took a wheelbarrow out to their truck in the front yard he would run to the front window to watch, and then run back.  It was hilarious.
I told the kids that the landscapers were coming to put grass in our backyard.  Reese said, "Grass?  Not dirt?"
"Do you want dirt?"
"Ummm..."
"Would you rather have grass or dirt?"
"GRASS!"
So today when a few hours had passed, Reese asked, "Where's the grass?"
"They are going to put that in last.  They have to clean it up first, lay down dirt, put in sprinklers, rocks, and then the grass."
"Sprinklers!?  For us to play in!?"
Obviously, what else are sprinklers for to a four year old?  I will admit the kids are pretty pumped about the prospect of a backyard.  This makes all of the money that we are putting in to it worth it.  (In addition to my sanity and the prospect of being able to sell this place without having to try to 'hide' the backdirt.)
After working all morning (the afternoons here are too hot to work), this is what was accomplished:
 No more woodchips.
 No more stumps.
And no more noxious weeds and cactus.
I almost hugged the man when he knocked to tell me they were leaving for the day.  I refrained.  He was sweaty and I didn't want him to think I was satisfied yet (I still want the grass).  But this is huge!  Mack and I never even dreamed of getting this far.  Flat dirt in the backdirt!  We are pathetic, we know.
Plus the guy trimmed our Dr. Seuss tree in the front yard just for the heck of it.  I looked out the front window and they were raking up the trimmings.  Now before we get all nervous that he should have asked first, the thing needed a trim badly.  Mack and I were just discussing it on our way to church on Sunday.  And last time Mack trimmed the tree it was ugly.  The neighbor even complained about what a travesty the massacre of the beautiful shade tree was.  So this guy taking the initiative and doing it free of charge warmed my heart.
So back tomorrow with more pictures.  They are just digging trenches for the sprinklers, so the before and after may not be as impressive.
And yes, this means that you will get daily updates about the backdirt.  And yes, this is blog-worthy, make no mistake.

1 comment: