Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bachelors Degree in Fort Building

My little sister, Melanie, came to visit last week.  It was awesome!  She hadn't met Reese and Jessenia yet and so she had to get in some good Aunt/Niece and Nephews time.  We had a blast, if I do say so myself.
One of the evenings we were sitting around, patting ourselves on the back for keeping the kids alive all day, and the brilliant idea occured to me that we should build a fort.  I build forts with the kids sometimes, but let's face it, they are zero help.  It usually ends up being tiny and Brisbane knocks it down before we can all climb under.  But now I had a partner in crime.  Melanie informed me that her Freshman year they would build forts in the dorms.  I am still not certain as to why they did this.  It was certainly nothing I did my Freshman year of college, but to each their own.
 I must admit, she must have learned something in college.  If she decides not to be a nurse, she could go for a degree in fort building.
 Naturally, we kicked all of the kids out of the living room (Brisbane snuck back in, as you can see).  We scrounged up every available sheet in our house, binder clips, safety pins, string, easel clips, and a yardstick.  Yes, we did use our back door to hold one of the corners of the sheets.  We may or may not have tied a string to the kitchen cabinets to raise the ceiling of one of the rooms.  It was a project.  And we declared it successful!
The kids liked it to (just not as much as us). 
 A fort this good, needed some popcorn and gummy bears!
 Jessenia almost missed out on all of the fun by being sent to bed early, but her bacon was saved because her mother took mercy on her so she could play with her Aunt.  (Don't worry Melanie, she will thank you later.)
 We were very careful to make sure everything was out of Brisbane's reach.  He didn't collapse any part of our fort (which in and of itself made the whole thing a success).
Reese probably enjoyed it most of all.
The kids liked it, we liked it.  Mostly we enjoyed building.  Made us feel like kids again.  Thanks Sis, and we miss you already!

2 comments:

  1. Awwwwwesome fort, ladies! I'm super impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! Nothing beats a good blanket/sheet fort! Nice to see some pictures of Melanie too!

    ReplyDelete