Friday, May 18, 2012

Go Cardinals!

It has been much too long of a hiatus.  I have been busy with family and illness.  My parents came into town two Mondays ago and Brisbane and I immediately got sick.  My mom left yesterday (we were all super sad) and even though I am in mourning, at least I have some fun things to write about from their visit.The excuse that my parents had for coming and visiting was that the St. Louis Cardinals were in town.  My dad comes every year for the series between the Diamondbacks and the Cardinals. Since he doesn't live in a town, I mean state, with a baseball team it is some much needed baseball therapy each year.  Last year we missed the series because Brisbane was only a few weeks old.  But this year we got to take along some kiddos, which was fun.
The first night Dad and I went alone.  The experience was very reminiscent of Daddy/Daughter dates to the ballpark when I was growing up.  Most people who know me moderately well know that I love baseball, and I do.  But why do I love baseball?  Because I love my dad.  When I was a little girl I wanted to be just like him.  He loved baseball.  And so naturally I wanted to as well.  It has been nice thoughout the years to have baseball as a way to connect even when we don't live close.
We had awesome seats that first night and got to watch the entire game with no interruptions.  And when I say awesome seats, I mean really awesome.  My father referred to them as 'posh'...which basically means right behind home plate and not in the nosebleed.  There were only four people on our row.  Dad and I sitting on one aisle and a couple sitting on the other aisle, twenty seats away.  (Diamondback fans, where were you?)
Then the next night we took Reese and Jessenia, it was pretty special.
 And what I mean by special is, "Look at those adorable kids!"
Much like the Spring Training game we took them to, they weren't really into the game all that much.  In the third inning Reese turned to me and asked, "Are we leaving yet?"  Not even close.  We failed to mention to them that our family does not leave baseball games early.  My father and I once sat through a game when the Cardinals were losing by more than 15 runs and a second string outfielder was pitching.  We. do. not. leave. early.
 But we learned a few things from our last baseball outing that served us well this time.
 Most importantly:  No matter how much fun Grandpa thinks cotton candy will be for the kids, it is a bad idea! 
 Kettle corn.  That is where it is at.  Much less messy.  Much easier to share.  And the kids like it WAY more!
Also, bring some baby wipes for those sticky fingers afterwards.
At the end of the game, the kiddos recieved compliments on how well behaved they were.  They talk about going to the baseball game all the time.  If you mention the words 'hot dog' they will immediately go into a five minute monologue about going to the baseball game.  It's pretty cute.
And for those who are wondering, Cardinals won both games.  GO CARDINALS!

2 comments:

  1. Go Cards! And you're so right-- never leave early. Ever. We haven't made it to a game yet this year, because they aren't coming to San Diego until September! Boo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have years where they don't come until the end of the season. I much prefer when they come early on. Well actually, I prefer when they come twice. :)

      Delete