Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Boxes of Joy

Why do we buy toys?  I am convinced that the toys are to entertain the stay at home mom more than they are to entertain the child.  The child is perfectly happy with the box.
I had some empty bins that I had bought to store clothes in.  There were three bins and three kids.  We lined the bins up and Mack and I pulled them around the living room like a train.  The kids still ask me for bins sometimes.
A few weeks ago I was cleaning out some boxes in the garage and the kids played with them before I collapsed them for recycling.

Jessenia had to crawl into that box when it was on it's side.  She asked me to tip it up for her but didn't take into account that now she wouldn't be able to stand up.  I offered to help her sit up and she refused, so I had to take a picture.  Claustraphobia must have set in three seconds after this picture was taken because she started squirming and crying for rescue.
Then my brother sent me an awesome belated birthday present and the kids claimed the box as their own.

 They really wanted Brisbane to get in with them.  I find it totally adorable because when Reese and Jessenia first moved in they wanted nothing to do with playing with Brisbane.  Now Brisbane is the star of the show (unless the trains are out and he is demolishing them).
 This time Reese and Jessenia willingly got themselves in that position.  And there are much bigger smiles this time.  But that box is bursting at the seams (and did split the next day from 'rough play').

So what is the lesson to be learned from this?  Don't spend money on a gift for my children, just get them a ruddy old box from the garage.  Hours of entertainment will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment