Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Finalization

I am still in mourning about the loss of my pictures.  Plus Best Buy still has my computer to replace the hard drive.  Which means that I am using Mack's Mac (I know, I know...he's cool to have a computer with his name).  Mack is not opposed to me putting pictures on his computer but I just like to have things all in one place so I am holding off a bit, we will see how long I last.
But last week we got some very big news and I thought I should blog about it.  Reese and Jessenia were placed in our home on January 21st.  Crazy, eh?  When we took physical custody we knew that there was a risk that we could lose the kids.  Typically when children are placed for adoption out of CPS custody, it is a done deal.  But occasionally the birth parents will appeal the decision.  When we got the kiddos in January, it had already been six months since the appeal had been made.  We thought a few more months and everything would be settled.  In May the AZ Court of Appeals denied the parent's appeal to overturn the severance.  We were relieved.  We waited the days for the parents to make a second appeal.  Those days passed.  We thought everything was a done deal.
Come to find out in June, that the parents had actually gotten an extension and they HAD appealed to the AZ Supreme Court.  You might remember me posting about how this made me want to puke.  We thought it would take a month (maybe, two) and the whole thing would be settled.  Wrong.  Three months later and we were still waiting.
On Wednesday of last week I spoke with the kid's attorney's social worker and she told me there was no news but that the case file was currently being reviewed by a judge.  Which was nice to hear since up until this point I had assumed it was still sitting in a box somewhere waiting for a judge to come back from his/her wildly exciting vacation to the Bahamas.  The social worker made an appointment to come see the kids the next day.
Fifteen minutes before she arrived on Thursday, I decided to check online again and see if there was an update (I checked at least twice a day).  Miraculously there had been an update.  Mack was home and I read to him that it said the Petition for Review was DENIED.  I didn't cry but I got really misty.  Couldn't believe it.  I had checked so many times and it had never been updated that I never thought it would happen.  Mack was a rock through the whole thing but as the process drug on I began to have doubts.  I worried it was taking so long because the judge was considering hearing the case.  I was worried we were going to have to give the kids back.  I had nightmares about dropping the kids off at random foster homes.  I had nightmares about CPS coming and taking them.  It was horrific.  The idea of puking was humorous in comparison to the worry and nightmares.
When the social worker arrived a few minutes later, she confirmed the news.  There is still a small chance that the birth parents could drag it out again.  They are granted the opportunity to request another review.  We are hoping that doesn't happen.  We have a finalization set for November 7th, and we are full speed ahead for that day.  So barring further complications the kids will be legally ours November 7th.
Then later that month we will go to the temple and have them sealed for time and all eternity as part of our forever family.  I couldn't be more excited.  It is a strange feeling to have kids that you love and cherish and know that they are not yet part of your eternal family.  I can't wait for that day.  I can't wait to see the kid's faces in the temple.  It will be one of the top three days of my life, and I can't wait!

1 comment:

  1. This really is the best news. I'm so happy for you guys! Many prayers have been answered. Love those kids and so glad they have you two as parents!!

    ReplyDelete