Friday, November 16, 2012

Ding Dong, Hostess is Dead!

I am supposed to be cleaning my house in anticipation of family arriving this weekend, but instead I am taking this opportunity to mourn the loss of Hostess.  If you haven't heard, Hostess is shutting down due to bankruptcy and the ongoing Baker's Union Strike.
I was supposed to go buy milk this morning, but instead went to Target to get boxes of Twinkies and Ding Dongs.  Good thing I did too, I got the last box of Ding Dongs on the shelf!
You had better believe that every time I walk into a store the next few days I will be making a beeline for the snack cakes and buying a box.  Since I know that hundreds of other people will be doing the same thing, and I got to get my stash!  Besides, the shelf life of a Twinkie has to be at least twenty years.  So you just can never have too many of them.
I cannot even imagine a world without Twinkies.  I know for a fact that Brisbane has never tasted a Twinkie (besides the one that he and I ripped into when we got home).  Reese and Jessenia I can be less sure about, but I doubt it.  Tragic.
Now I am sure that some other company will buy up the rights to the most iconic Hostess' snacks and this whole stocking up on snack cakes is not necessary (but very fun).  I am still saddened.  Ding Dongs were commonplace in my house growing up.  We quite often had a box of Ding Dongs as Family Home Evening Treats.  It is one of those things that I will always associate with my childhood.
I could not have single handedly saved Hostess, but this whole thing makes me wish that I had bought more snack cakes over the last twenty-six years.  I am a cheapskate, come on...I have an entire blog dedicated to being frugal.  But I am considering a weekly splurge now.  What if Entenmann's goes out of business?  What if we lose Snickers bars?  Maybe if I buy a favorite treat each week, I won't be so depressed when my favorite potato chip company goes out of business.  (Let's just keep this between you and I and not tell Mack about it, k?)
So go out and enjoy a Hostess snack cake.  The lady at Target's favorite are Ho-Ho's.  What's yours?  And if you see a lady wrestling someone for the last box of Ding Dongs, there is a good chance it is yours truly.

1 comment:

  1. I know! I'm SUPER bummed about this Hostess thing! I keep asking myself if I could have made a difference, if I could have bought more donuts (let's be honest - probably not), if I could have saved them...

    I've been craving the orange cream-filled cupcakes all week, and now I find out that Hostess is gone. It's tragic! (I'm hoping that one of the many gas stations in my neighborhood will have some in stock.)

    ReplyDelete