Thursday, November 8, 2012

Adoption. Final!

This mother had a hard time sleeping Tuesday night in anticipation of the Adoption Finalization Hearing the next morning.  I think it was better than Christmas.  Strike that.  I know it was better than Christmas.  
The parents had to wake up at 5:30 to get themselves and the kids looking presentable for the first hearing of the day at 8:30.  When I went in to get the kids singing "Good Morning" (from Singing in the Rain) Reese asked if we were going to church (because why else would Mom be in something other than sweatpants).  I told him we were going to go get him adopted!  (He has no idea what that means despite our many attempts to explain it in four year old language.)
As we were getting ready I told the kids we were going to the courthouse.  Of course the kids thought that meant we were going to someone's house.  I explained to them some hocus pocus about "lots of rooms" "important stuff" and "judges".  "Are judges nice?"  "Let's hope so."  "Do they have toys?"  "Nope."  At this point I can already tell Reese is thinking this is going to be a bust.
When we loaded the kids in the car I told them that I was so excited to go and make them my kids forever.  Reese asked me what I was talking about.  I said, "Are you excited for me to be your Mom forever?"  "Uhhhh.....nuh-uh."  I guess when you ask a question, you should take the honest answer.  
We were there a little early.  I am a bit neurotic like that.  My kids are used to sitting in the car ten minutes before entering any building, because we are always early.  Sorry guys.
We made it through security and then had to wait outside the courtroom until all of the case workers and attorneys arrived.  The adoption agency brought the three kids each a super cute homemade bear.  Then they proceeded to run around the halls with their bears while Mom and Dad signed last minute paperwork for the new birth certificates.  The last thing anyone said before we walked into the room was, "Judge Hartsell is good, he won't care if the kids are running around the room".  Do you know me at all?  Do you think I want to remember this moment with my kids running wild around a courtroom?  I didn't think so.
Thankfully, none of our children seemed inclined to run around.  That's what happens when you put them in extra large cushy chairs that spin and have wheels.  Reese wanted to sit on my lap and so I got to hear the whole hearing through the mouth of a four year old.  (Commentary to follow.)
"All Rise."
R: "Why are we standing up?"
Me:  "To show respect for the court."
R:  "Respect?!"
Then the judge asked us to confirm who we are and we are sworn in.  I think Reese thought we were sustaining people in church.  Minor difference.  Then our attorney asked us a bunch of questions to identify ourselves.  Names.  Address.  Birthdate.  Confirm our wedding date.  At this point I realize Mack is totally distracted because Brisbane has decided to take his shoes off and throw them around.  Good times.
Then the attorney spells the kids names as they will appear on their birth certificates.  Reese's name was first.
R:  "That was me huh?  Reese?"
Me:  "Yes."
Then she spelled Jessenia's name.
R:  "That wasn't me, huh?  Not Reese?"
Me:  "Nope."
R:  "Was it Jessenia?"
Me: "Yes."
I then hope I answered the rest of the questions correctly because Reese was obsessed with his shoe itching and wouldn't stop talking to me about it until I took his shoe off and scratched his toes.
The last question the attorney asked is if it our desire to adopt these children.  That's when we both started crying.  We maintained out composure pretty good and managed to say, "yes".
After thatwas all settled the judge asked the CPS caseworker to make a recommendation.  She of course gave us a glowing recommendation as the best possible parents for the kids.  Thanks Nancy!
Then the judge declared us the parents of Reese and Jessenia.  That's the coolest part of the whole hearing.  Too bad Reese was still talking to me about his foot because it was a little harder to soak in the whole experience compared to Brisbane (so it was nice that we had done it before).
When we adopted Brisbane it was National Adoption Day so there was a bunch of hoopla.  This time it was just a regular day at the court so we didn't know what to expect.  But the judge invited the kids right up to his desk so we could get pictures.
 He shook both their hands and congratulated them.  Then he gave each kid a medal that said "Winner".  Of course Reese wanted to know why it said winner.  I told him because he won us as parents and we won him and Jessenia as our kids.
 Then we took a few awkward snapshots with the judge.  I am posting a few because there were four cameras and we didn't do a very good job of all looking at the same time.
 Don't ask me what Brisbane is doing with his ears.  But I love Reese's pose in this one.
 We are all kind of looking in the same general direction in this one.
After the pictures the judge let each of the kids bang on his desk with a giant foam gavel.  They thought that was awesome (especially Brisbane).
Then we got the heck out of the room and had to go do some official stuff.
One last picture outside (Reese and Jessenia look midget sized here.... probably a dilemma they will face their whole lives).
We then went to IHOP, since the adults had not gotten breakfast that morning.  Then went home and took naps.  And then went out to eat.  It was a glorious day.
Thank you to everyone who prayed for us and the kids.  We have come a long way since January 21st and we couldn't imagine life without all three of our little ones.  We are so grateful to all of the caseworkers and families who have loved Reese and Jessenia during their time in foster care.  And especially to the case workers and attorneys that made the finalization possible.  Thanks also to our parents, they have been our number one support team through all of the craziness of getting the kids and going through the lengthy appeals process.  Family really is the greatest thing on earth and I am truly blessed to be a part of the family that I am...both near and far.
I know my kids won't remember this day but I hope they know how proud and blessed I feel to be their Mom.  A lot of people have cute kids, but mine are the cutest.  A lot of people have sweet kids, but mine are the sweetest.

2 comments:

  1. I can't imagine a sweeter, special way to welcome children into your family. Congratulations, you guys. Those kids are SO blessed to have such wonderful parents now, and vice-versa. : ) We're so glad to have you guys as friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sitting here just crying! I knew you would be a fantastic mother when I saw you nurture my sweet girls when they were little. I am so happy you can now settle into family life without a little cloud waiting above your head. So happy for all of you! Lots of love!

    ReplyDelete