Monday, June 4, 2012

Wimbledon Champ?

News and funny stories are pretty thin on the ground around here.  The biggest news is that I have lost my camera.  Grmph!  I am equal parts incredibly grumpy and totally excited.  I might be able to convince myself that we can get one of those fancy SLR cameras that will take awesome pictures of our kids instead of the terrible ones with bad lighting that we take right now.  We shall see.  In the meantime, you are going to get posts such as this one.
We went and watched our nephew, Hunter, play in a high school Academic Scholars All Star Baseball Game on Friday night.  During the game, my brother in law informed us that a man sitting behind us was a former Wimbledon champion.  He didn't know his name (honestly, someone had just told him this tid bit of info) but knew that he had played doubles with his sister.  What was he doing at this high school event?  Cheering on our nephew?  Apparently not.  His son was in the game too.  On one of my many trips to walk the concourse with Brisbane I talked to him and his wife for a minute.  I figured if they were semi-famous I should at least talk to them so I can have my brief brush with semi fame. She thought that our children were incredibly cute.  I thought, "Well, even if she isn't married to a Wimbledon Champion, at least she is brilliant".  I was still pretty skeptical about this guy though.
So when I got home, I looked it up.  I first looked for an American male who had won in the last fifty years.  (The guy was relatively young so that was being generous.)  I am something of a tennis fan (thank you, Mother) and I recognized all of the men who fit my criteria.  So then I moved on to Mixed Doubles Champs in the last fifty years with the same last name.  BINGO!  John Austin won Wimbledon's Mixed Doubles in 1980 with his sister, Tracy.  He now resides in Scottsdale, Arizona.
So I did have a semi-brush with semi-fame!
Pathetic that this is the news of the day.  Sorry.  Hopefully I will find my camera and hopefully my kids will start doing some super cute things.  Pray for that, otherwise you are getting more of the above.

2 comments:

  1. I totally remember Tracy Austin. Especially when she would play against Chris Evert. It's always kind of fun to meet people who have done things like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could even say that I 'met' him. It was pathetic, but interesting nonetheless. :)

      Delete