Monday, October 28, 2013

How To Kill A Chicken

Mack reminded me of this dinner conversation that had happened while he was gone and I thought I should record it for posterity.  One night I was eating dinner with the three kids.  We were having chicken.  When Reese said....

"Mom, how do they kill chickens?"
Jessenia:  They use a sword.
Me: <snorting>
Reese:  No they don't!  They shoot them with a gun!
Me: <more snorting>  They definitely don't use a gun.
Jessenia:  They use a sword.
Me:  I don't think they use a sword either.
Jessenia:  Probably a knife then.
(Before I can nod approval for her good logic and reasoning.)
Reese:  No, Jessenia.  They shoot them with a gun!
Me:  Reese, Jessenia is right.  People use knives to kill chickens.  Guns would be too messy.
Reese:  I think they use a gun.
Me:  You're wrong.  Any chicken that people eat is not killed with a gun.
Reese:  Have you ever killed a chicken?  They use a gun.
(Shocked and appalled that my son does not believe every word I say.  Horrified that he is obsessed with gun violence against chickens.  Personally affronted that I am not the reigning authority in the house on chicken killing for food when I am the only person over the age of six.)
Me:  Let's call Grandma.  She has killed chickens.  If she says that they use guns, then I will believe you.
Reese:  Ok.

I then proceeded to call my mother and while on speaker phone, in the middle of dinner, while we are eating chicken, she describes to my three small children how they hung chickens upside down and slit their throats.  Or cut their heads off and watched them run around.  Or wrung their necks.
Jessenia was pleased that she was right about the knife thing.  Reese believed his grandmother but was still skeptical that the above mentioned methods were better for producing edible chicken then shooting them with a gun.  Boys will be boys, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment