Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Drowning

DISCLAIMER:  We talk about the difference between birth parents and parents all the time at our house.  It is a really difficult concept for a five, four, and two year old to understand.  Particularly when their mother is currently pregnant.  In the following conversation, I ignored the blatant confusion about birth parents because there seemed to be deeper concerns.  Good times ahead.

Setting:  Eating Dinner.
Characters: Me, Reese, Jessenia
Minor Character/Observer: Brisbane

Reese:  Are you going to be scared if the doctor has to cut the babies out of you?
(Background Info:  We have talked about how the babies are going to be born in the past.  We talked about C-sections and vaginal deliveries in the most toddler appropriate ways.)
Me:  No, I won't be scared.  The doctors are very good at their job and it will be very safe.
Reese:  Ok.
Reese:  I want to be there when the babies are born.
Me:  Sorry, Buddy.  They don't let kids be there because it is too distracting. (Me ignoring all the other reasons that my 3 children will not be allowed in the room while I am delivering the twins.)
Reese:  WHAT!?
Me:  Plus, it's kind of gross.
Reese: Gross!?
Me:  Yep.  There's blood.
Reese:  Blood!  How much!?  How long are you going to bleed!?  It's from them cutting you isn't it?
Me:  Kind of.  They clean it all up and it isn't for very long.
Reese:  Oh.  Ok.

Jessenia:  When I was in your tummy, and you took all those vitamins and drank water, I was scared.
Me:  Why were you scared?
Jessenia:  Because I was going to drown!
Me:  <laughing>.
<Insert long conversation about stomachs and uteruses & babies not drowning.>
Me:  The babies are floating in liquid though.  They drink it. (I intentionally left out the bit about them peeing because I didn't want my kids to have any ideas about drinking urine.)
Reese:  That is so weird!

End Scene.

I found it particularly hilarious that Jessenia has watched me drinking water and taking prenatal vitamins for the last six month and thought that the babies were going to drown from my liquid intake.  The beauty of life through the eyes of a four year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment