Monday, January 21, 2013

One Year

We have a lot of anniversaries at our house.  Wedding.  Day we Met.  First Date.  Five Birthdays.  Two Adoption Finalizations.  Two Sealings.  And the day we took custody of Reese and Jessenia.  January 21st.  One year ago today, Reese and Jessenia moved into our home forever.  Has it really been a year? Has it only been a year?
Today comes with a sense of relief.  We have made it through a year full of events and holidays.  There is no more pressure of the first Christmas or the first summer or the first birthday celebration.
I feel like I spent most of the first year figuring out what the heck I was doing and feeling like a total and utter failure.  I haven't felt like a failure as a mother in a while though.  I think that means I am finally figuring something out (at least for today...before it suddenly changes and once again I have no idea what I am doing).
I was thinking about the significance of today when Reese ran up to me and started "Mom, can....".  I have no idea how that sentence was finished, but it started with Mom.  A year ago Mack and I were lying in bed trying to figure out the best strategy to get Reese and Jessenia to refer to us as Mom and Dad.  Heck, we were trying to figure out what we were going to call them.  And now it is all so normal.  It's just life.
At church yesterday a man asked me, "Have you gotten used to having a instant family yet?"  I felt like I had a family back when I was single and back when it was just Mack and I, so I don't totally agree with the question.  But I answered, "Yeah.  As much as anyone ever gets used to it."  Heavenly Father knew what He was doing when He organized us into families.  He knew what He was doing when I was born to my parents.  He knew what He was doing when Mack and I met, fell in love, and decided to get married.  He knew what He was doing when we spent many a night crying because we couldn't get pregnant.  And He definitely knew what He was doing when he placed three precious children into our home.  Forever.
So I guess that means, one year down and forever to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment